Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Welcome!


My name is Michelle, and I have been selling handmade items on Etsy for over a year. I first discovered the love of crafting at the age of 7 when my grandmother taught me to crochet. Isn't she beautiful? This is my favorite picture of her.
 
 

Through my grade school and high school years, I dabbled in many different crafts - plastic canvas, crochet, painting, etc... Then, for my 8th grade graduation, my grandmother gave me her old sewing machine as a gift with a sewing box. It was a Vogue Stitch. She taught me how to make clothes for my dolls and Barbies. I learned to make pillows, clothes, and all kinds of cool things.

When I was 18, I got married much too young and got pregnant. My husband and I were much too young, and within a year, I moved back to my parents house. I was 7 months pregnant. My daughter was my life and was quite a challenge. She sure kept me on my toes!!

When my daughter was 2, I met the love of my life. He helped raise my daughter. When my daughter was in the 9th grade, she was diagnosed with ADD. She was quite a handful. I was so busy making sure she was doing what she should be that I never had time to do any of my crafting. It was like my life was missing something. When she graduated high school, we were so happy! We were so proud of her. Believe me, it was quite an accomplishment for her to finish school!
 
 
After she moved out and went on with her own life, Tim and I grew closer. We never had that time before children, so it was very nice to have the house to just ourselves. In time we decided it was time to get married. We had been dating for 17 years!
 
 
Now, that the house was quiet with my daughter gone, and my husband was working long hours, I started to want to do my crafts again. I started out making car organizers and seatbelt covers. After a while I created some tablet or iPad covers and carrying cases that resemble purses. When I was crafting, I was in my own little world. Then, my father got cancer again. He had been fighting different types of cancer for 10 years. He became ill about 3 months after I got married, but he fought it and came home. He looked better than he had in years! He quit smoking, changed his diet, took heart medication. I cherished every moment. In January, we learned that his cancer had spread quite a bit, and that there was no way to "save" him this time. I lost my father on January 22, 2013, and I think I lost a part of me too.....
 
 
 
Now that my father is gone, my crafting helps me to cope. It keeps me motivated by creating things the way I have always have. It brought me back to the "real" me.
 
 
Thank you for reading. I know this is long, but I wanted to tell you a little bit about myself. 



2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,
    I enjoyed reading your story. I am glad everything turned out ok with your daughter. It is sad to read of your dad but wonderful that he was there for your wedding! It is amazing what crafting does for our soul! I wish you best of luck with your Etsy business. Welcome to the blogosphere too!
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Val for reading! Thank you for the luck!

    ReplyDelete